What is your self-worth?

9:18 PM Cassie 0 Comments

I have always wondered how worthy I am or if I am at all. Usually, when someone tells us that our presence in their life is 'priceless' we go so ga-ga about it, but really, what does it mean to be a priceless gem to someone's eye? Do you see yourself as priceless as others see you or you just want to wake up everyday feeling important because you're important to someone's life and not because you solely want to believe that you really are worthy and priceless?

I'm not sure what it means to you, but as for me, I am always bothered of how much I know of being a person who is worth it; worth-loving, worth-caring, worth-fighting for. And I always want to know the answer. Does being priceless mean I cannot be found anywhere because I am unique, perhaps one in a million and a person worth being with? Or does being priceless mean that I am a person with no price tag, thus worthless in most aspects?

Are you always sure of what your self-worth is? I mean, how do you even measure yours? Is your self-worth dependent on the number of likes in your instagram and the lines of flowery comments given out by people you know and you don't? Or does it depends on the number of your followers (or perhaps, fans for those who think they're popular enough) in twitter? Or maybe on the number of friend requests you receive every hour and the number of photos tagged to you in facebook? Or does any of these really have a bearing in your self-worth?

I am not asking all of these because I know the answers. I am asking because even I do not know and I was hoping someone could help me figure out. I have no idea of what my self-worth is or how I even measure is. I hope time will come that societal pressure will no longer be the cause of trying to fit in and trying to be socially active because we are losing ourselves in trying to live out a totally different life than what we used to.

And losing ourselves entails most probably, losing our self-worth, too. We need to keep in mind that people will never value us if we do not value ourselves first. Putting our happiness in the hands of external forces must never be the first choice. Our worth is undefinable and not even the people who caught our hearts could ever define that.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: